Bacon and eggs on greens
Ingredients (Serves 6)
85g Turkey bacon (about 3 rashers) – cut into ½ inch pieces
6 large eggs
680g mixed tender or baby greens (for example young spinach) –discard coarse stems, coarsely chop leaves and rinse (but don’t dry)
1 tsp orange juice
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp sherry vinegar (for the greens)
¼ tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp salt
1. Firstly with paper towels lay in a large plate
2. Fill a large shallow pot with about 2 inches of water, and then add the vinegar. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat so that the water is barely simmering.
3. Using either a ramekin or teacup crack one egg at a time without breaking the yolk, then gently slide the egg into the water. Poach for about 2 ½ – 3 minutes until the whites
4. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the eggs to the paper towel-lined plate and keep warm.
5.Cook the turkey bacon in a large frying pan over a medium heat for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned – don’t forget to stir the turkey frequently to avoid burning.
6. Transfer the turkey to a bowl with the slotted spoon and keep warm
7.Using the same pan add the greens and heat for about 1 to 2 minutes until barely wilted. (You can split the greens up and do this stage in batches if easier). Drain any excess liquid off the greens and season with salt and pepper.
8. Stir in the turkey to the greens, then add the orange juice and sherry vinegar.
9. Divide the greens evenly between the plates. Then add an egg to each plate
Nutritional info (per serving)