For the majority gluten is nothing to worry about. But for a few, gluten can cause a big problem. The difference between those who can and cant tolerate gluten comes down to the immune system. In those that are gluten sensitive the body see’s gluten as a foreign body that is harmful to the body, and therefore an immune response is triggered when gluten is ingested. A gluten intolerance can be nasty, and could also have a massive impact on your health and fitness journey, in your quest to get ripped.
Here are 10 signs you should look out for which could mean that you have an intolerance to gluten and could be slowing your progress.
1. You have some form of digestive issues, these could include: gas, bloating, diarrhea or even constipation.
2. Suffering from ketosis pilaris, this often has the nickname of chicken skin and is most commonly found on the back of your arms. This usually stems from a deficiency in EFA’s (essential fatty acids) or Vitamin A, but these are secondaryto fat-malabsorption caused by gluten damaging the gut.
3. Sometimes after eating a meal containing gluten you feel tired or drowsy or even very fatigued and lethargic.
4. Being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis – could be a direct effect of a gluten intolerance.
5. Neurological symptoms such as dizzy spells, or being off balance.
7. Unexplained infertility or hormone imbalances such as PMS or PCOS.
8. Being diagnosed with chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia. These diagnoses usually indicate that your conventional GP cannot pin point the exact reasons for your fatigue, tiredness or pain.
9. Any swelling pain or inflammation in your joints, such as fingers knees hips and elbows.
10. Issues with your mood, such as: anxiety, depression, mood swings and ADD. Further Reading on testing a determining intolerances:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/all-you- need-to- know-about- gluten-intolerance-and- celiac.html
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7482/10- signs-youre- gluten-intolerant.html
https://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-sensitivity- intolerance-self- test/